b-hebrew - RE: Dahood

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Johannes Hellberg'" <j.hellberg AT forsfak.been.o.se>, "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Dahood
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 20:52:26 -0000

I have Cragie's commentary in front of me, and so his limited critical
evaluation. I don't think he is referring to any other evaluation,
except of course for the one which he might have liked to write but
which would have taken a whole book. I don't think he ever did write it,
and sadly he is no longer with us (d.1985) to write it now.

Peter Kirk

Commentary
> 1983), Craigie quotes Albright about Dahood's commentary on the Psalms
> (AB):
> "Even if only a third of his (Dahood's) new interpretations of the
Psalter
> are correct in principle - and I should put the total proportion
higher -
> he
> has contributed more than all other scholars together, over the past
two
> thousend years, to the elucidation of the Psalter"
>
> Dahood really introduced new thoughts into the exegesis of the
Psalter.

> Craigie writes: "In this commentary, wich owes a great deal to the
insight
> of Mitchell Dahood, an attempt has been made to evaluate crtitcally
> Dahood's
> contributions to the study of Psalms 1-50. The critical evaluation is
very
> limited, principally because the extent of Dahood's work is so massive
> that
> a complete book would be required for critical evaluation alone"
>
> Does anyone know about such an evaluation?
>
> Yours
> Johannes

  • Dahood, Johannes Hellberg, 01/21/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>