b-hebrew - RE: "Today" - idiomatic?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: "Today" - idiomatic?
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 19:47:28 -0000

Let me clarify this a little. I discovered that at least in Deut 9:1,
Joshua 22:16 and Judges 9:18 (I didn't look any further) HAYYOWM is used
for an event which could not have occurred on that literal day. But the
question was, in the first century CE would HAYYOWM or its Aramaic or
Greek equivalent have been understood as (whether necessarily or
probably) referring to literally the same day, in a future context to
something that would happen before sunset? The answer might require an
appeal to Qumran or Mishnaic Hebrew.

Peter Kirk

  • "Today" - idiomatic?, Bill Ross, 01/21/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • RE: "Today" - idiomatic?, Peter Kirk, 01/21/2002