b-hebrew - Re: CHESED = Grace

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "SPAWN OF A JEWISH CARPENTER: CINDY SMITH" <cms AT dragon.com>
  • To: B-HEBREW AT FRANKLIN.OIT.UNC.EDU
  • Cc: cms AT dragon.com
  • Subject: Re: CHESED = Grace
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 13:46:45 -1300

>From: "Christine Bass" <christinebass AT home.com>
>To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>Subject: Re: CHESED=Grace
>Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 13:27:02 -0500

>The understanding I have of the word chesed is that it is translated as
>grace, mercy or lovingkindness.
>From "The Place of Faith and Grace in Judaism" by David R.Blumenthal.

Rabbi Blumenthal is one of my professors at Emory University, and he
is an excellent teacher and writer. In class once, we discussed the
concept of grace in Judaism, and most of the students seemed to
associate the idea of grace with Christianity. When I discussed this
on the soc.culture.jewish list, most of the posters seemed to think
grace is a foreign concept. One of my lasting impressions of Jewish
mysticism is that, in the sefirotic system, when CHESED (grace) flows
with GEVURAH (judgement), it comes out TIFERET (mercy).