b-hebrew - RE: phonology question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vincent M. Setterholm" <Vincents AT minn.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: phonology question
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 11:15:25 -0600

Thanks, that's a cool link!  However the pronunciation used seems to be modern hebrew (no distinction being made between tau with a dagesh lene and without, the waw makes a 'v' sound, etc.).  What I am hunting for is recordings of the pronunciation used in the older grammars, that bears a closer resemblance to Arabic (ayin is voiced, tsade makes a harsh 's' sound instead of the 'ts', etc.).  It may be that my best option will be just to listen to some Arabic tapes and then try moving those sounds over to Hebrew.

thanks,
Vincent Setterholm