b-hebrew - Re: CHESED = Grace

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: <cms AT dragon.com>
  • Subject: Re: CHESED = Grace
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:31:35 -0500

From: "Christine Bass" <christinebass AT home.com>
One of my lasting impressions of Jewish mysticism is that, in the sefirotic
system, when CHESED (grace) flows with GEVURAH (judgement), it comes out
TIFERET (mercy).

In Kabbala, Gevura is translated as stern judgement

And Tiferet is translated as Beauty or divine glory, as you say

Shoshanna

******************
Please note that GEVURAH does not mean "judgment" but "power" or "strength."
It is related to the root G-B-R, from which derive also "male" [GeBheR] and
"warrior" [GiBBoR].
Further, TIFERET has absolutely nothing to do with "mercy," but refers
clearly to "beauty" or "[divine] glory". Its root, P-'-R, found biblically
in both Pi`el and Hitpa`el stems, may mean "to glorify or beautify" [Pi`el]
or "acquire glory or honor for oneself" [Hit, see BDB on both stems].
I see no connection between either of these words and HeSeD.
Charles David Isbell

---
You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [rosewalk AT concentric.net]