b-hebrew - RE: Language code switching in Daniel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Language code switching in Daniel
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 18:03:02 -0000

Sorry, this evidence doesn't add up. Jesus' words are preserved mostly in
Greek, but very probably in translation - there is certainly evidence of a
Semitic background to his words. One case where we can be certain that his
words have been preserved in translation was when he read from the scroll of
Isaiah in Luke 4; unless of course they were using LXX in the synagogue in
Nazareth.

There is no record of Jesus speaking to a Roman centurion. The Capernaum
centurion of Matthew 8:5-13 and Luke 7:1-10 was not in the Roman army but in
that of the nominally independent tetrarchy of Herod Antipas; we don't know
his ethnicity, not Jewish, but very likely he spoke Aramaic which was the
local lingua franca. The Syrophoenician woman could equally well have been
an Aramaic speaker. Pilate probably spoke Greek or Latin himself, but he
would have had to have interpreters, so no evidence there. Now very likely
Jesus did speak some Greek, but I don't see any conclusive evidence here.

Peter Kirk