b-hebrew - RE: Semetic Vowels Revisited

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Matthew R. Miller" <biblicalscribe AT hotmail.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Semetic Vowels Revisited
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 23:41:53 +0100

Trevor and Randall have made good points. But there is a special distinction
with Semitic languages, which perhaps also applied to the distantly related
Egyptian. The structure of these languages (based on triliteral roots) makes
it relatively easy to understand a consonant only text. In many other
languages the vowels also play a very important distinctive role (and in
some, tone also does). For these languages, it is necessary to write the
vowels, or to use pointing with scripts that are used without pointing for
Semitic languages.

Peter Kirk