b-hebrew - RE: Isaiah Query

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Isaiah Query
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 11:19:08 +0100

Yes, I appreciate the intended target audience. But many Christian scholars,
translators, preachers etc find the JPS Tanakh very helpful. I especially
appreciate it for sticking to the Hebrew text and not wandering off into the
Greek or speculative emendation, and for its exegesis which is largely
independent of the Christian tradition. But such helpfulness to outsiders is
compromised by this kind of issue, which outsiders will not understand.

On Soren's point re John 7:53-8:11, at least there is some textual evidence
here, and then there is the question of who defines the NT canon. (By the
way, I didn't use the word "absurdity".) The situation is rather different
with the end of Isaiah because I don't think anyone is suggesting that this
is part of the canon in any sense, rather that it is a reading convention.

It is interesting that no less than four books in the Hebrew Bible end on a
sudden negative note. I wonder if there is some significance to this,
perhaps a feeling, the opposite of the more modern one, that it is wrong
(either stylistically or theologically) to end on a positive note. Any
thoughts?

Peter Kirk