b-hebrew - SV: Isaiah Query

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Søren Holst <sh AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: SV: Isaiah Query
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 09:16:25 +0200

Well, outta simple curiosity I too would have appreciated a footnote in the
relevant place in the JPS version. But then annotation is an open-ended
activity - where do you stop? The addition IS in noticably smaller print -
corresponding to the practice of including it in some Hebrew Bibles in
unpointed Hebrew characters (see e.g. the recent "Biblia Hebraica
Leningradensia" which prides itself on being the most accurate edition of
the Leningrad MS, although "adapted to fit halakhic rulings" or words to
that effect).

I would be careful to claim that ANY absurdity is "not ... acceptable in a
christian translation". Unacceptable to you or me, perhaps, but that's not
to say that it might not occur. How about the persistent inclusion of John
7,53-8,11 in christian bibles?

kol tuv
Soren Holst, Copenhagen