b-hebrew - RE: Isaiah Query

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Isaiah Query
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 22:44:21 +0100

But it does seem strange that in the JPS "Tanakh" this verse is printed at
the end, admittedly in a slightly smaller font size, with no footnote or
other explanation either at that place or in the Preface - especially when
this translation is otherwise so careful to note any departures from the
Masoretic text. Far be it from me to criticise Jewish customs. But such a
practice would certainly not be acceptable in a Christian translation, and
probably not (unless it could be argued that the author's intended meaning
is actually better reflected in English by the amended version) in one done
according to normal secular criteria.

Peter Kirk