b-hebrew - Re: 2 Ki 2:23-24

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Daniel Wagner" <dan.wagner AT netzero.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: 2 Ki 2:23-24
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 14:24:53 -0400

Shoshanna,

Are you claiming that ancient BH writer(s) were incapable of free variation?
Is that a uniquely modern literary discovery? Is it not a acceptable "reason"
to use a particular word for literary/stylistic purposes alone?

(I am not intending to argue for free variation in this particular context
necessarily, but asking the larger question of whether it is possible in
general.)

Dan Wagner