b-hebrew - Re: 2 Ki 2:23-24

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "David Stabnow" <dstabno AT lifeway.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: 2 Ki 2:23-24
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 07:51:28 -0500

Shoshanna,

I agree with your short answer. But questions of vocabulary are seldom
satisfied with short answers. As you know, na'ar is used of children of
varying ages, from pre-birth to early twenties. It also refers to "young
servant" or "retainer" (acolyte?). Still, I agree that the default meaning
is the bar-mitzvah boy, on the verge of manhood.

As to the variation in 2 Ki 2, note that in v. 23 they are ne'arim ketanim
"little youths," for which yeladim in v. 24 is a synonym.

Dave Stabnow