b-hebrew - Re: 2 Ki 2:23-24

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Shoshanna Walker" <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: 2 Ki 2:23-24
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 12:25:52 -0400

In the Torah, every single word is there for a reason, even some words are
missing letters, etc. - it is all very precise.

You can't really have a full understanding by just brushing it off as
"variety"

Rashi says that his voice was that of a youth.

I don't have all the commentators in front of me, nor would I be able to
understand them all, but they do address this.

Shoshanna

> I think it is impossible to put a sharp distinction between words like
na`ar
> and yeled without dragging in the ways in which they later became
> distinguished in rabbinic Hebrew. For example, Exodus 2:6 refers to the
> three month old infant [Moses] with both terms in the same sentence!
"Then