b-hebrew - RE: beginning grammars & computer assisted programs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: beginning grammars & computer assisted programs
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 15:44:11 +0500

I was puzzled by the statement "pronunciation is absolutely crucial for Hebrew", though I agree that it is helpful to have material to listen to, not just on paper. But I find it helpful to use a pronunciation which distinguishes between the different sounds as written by the Masoretes e.g. between kaph (with dagesh) and qoph, and between patah and qamets. The Israeli pronunciation does not do this, and so is not so useful for learning. On the other hand, you do need to know some rather complex phonetics e.g. to distinguish tet from taw (with dagesh), and to pronounce `ayin anything like properly.

Peter Kirk