b-hebrew - Re: beginning grammars & computer assisted programs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: beginning grammars & computer assisted programs
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 08:46:53 -0700

> To All,
>
> I have just begun to study B-Hebrew. I have searched the archives in vain
> for what I am sure is an oft repeated post. Please forgive my ineptness
> in that regard. I would very much like to hear what the list members
> believe to be the best beginning grammars are and why. What, if any,
> computer assisted programs are worth the price (such as Hebrew Tutor) and
> again why you may feel as you do. As I have a limited budget and wish to
> get the most from my money your suggestions are much appreciated.

Jay,
I have heard nothing but good about Hebrew Tutor (Parsons Tech).
Trying to learn it out of just a grammar book is almost impossible,
because pronunciation is absolutely crucial for Hebrew. (Yes, I
know, it's crucial for any language, but doubly so for BH). If you go
with Mansoor, make sure you get the cassette tapes that go with
it. There's no substitute for hearing it as you learn and that's why I
like the audiovisual interactivity of Hebrew Tutor.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"You just keep thinking, Butch. That's what you're good at."