b-hebrew - Re: Yiqtol + ASHER + Yiqtol

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Daniel Wagner" <dan.wagner AT netzero.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Yiqtol + ASHER + Yiqtol
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 17:00:01 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: <Numberup AT worldnet.att.net>
To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2001 6:50 PM

> Interesting here that the KJV (and many others) translate with "future"
> contextual
> reference:
>
> (1) Ex 6:1: "...Now shalt thou see what I will do [tir'eh asher 'eh'seh] to
> Pharaoh..."
>
> NASB: "Now you shall see what I will do to Pharaoh..."
>
> (2) Ex 11:7: "But against any of the children of Israel shall not a dog
> move his
> tongue,...that ye may know how that the LORD doth put a difference [ter'un
> asher
> yafleh]....
>
> NIV: "But among the Israelites not a dog will bark at any man or animal.
> Then you
> will know that the LORD makes a distinction..."

I agree that future is the normal expectation for normal contexts which use
the yiqtol like this, but we don't have a normal context, and there are
exceptions anyway. But i've never been too concerned about the tense of our
translation, because i don't think it was the concern of the BH text to
emphasize tense in any direction at this point. It's not what Yahweh will do
or who He will be that is of ultimate contextual importance, but rather what
and mostly *who* He always *is* in regards to His covenant relationship with
everyone from Abraham to Moses and beyond.

Dan Wagner

NetZero Platinum
No Banner Ads and Unlimited Access
Sign Up Today - Only $9.95 per month!