b-hebrew - Re: Prophetic Perfects in the Psalms

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Charles David Isbell" <cisbell AT home.com>
  • To: "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Prophetic Perfects in the Psalms
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 18:29:38 -0500

Yet in English as well, we use tenses rather loosely in certain contexts.
We have a historical present, do we not? "A guy walks into a bar with a
parrot on his shoulder, ..." is something that clearly has already happened
or we could not tell about it. But the present tense form lends an air of
immediacy or participation in an actual event.
Also, if I should say, "You are dead," I can clearly be referring to an
event yet in the future, again despite the use of a present tense form.
So why could not a prophet use the perfect form to describe something that
he believed was absolutely certain to happen, even though it was strictly
still in his future?
Charles David Isbell