b-hebrew - Re: was Michael -- Re: deuteronomy (Peter)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: was Michael -- Re: deuteronomy (Peter)
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 23:41:57 +0100

>Ian wrote:-
>
>[snip]
>>So we have a shipfaring people with a name of Denyen/Danuna/Danai, who
>>just so happened to find themselves on basically the same coast around
>>the same time, as the only biblically attested "southern Dan", who have
>>no background according to the only sources to justify their connection
>>with ships or the coast.
>[snip]
>
>Sock it to me! Do I understand you correctly? Are really saying that
>within the Biblical texts there is a historical memory which dates
>back to around 1200BC?

Bill, if the Arthurian legends can preserve something from the Gilgamesh
narratives,
don't you think it's possible that the biblical accounts can preserve
something from
1200 BCE? Our problem is to find ways based in factual data from the relevant
period
(such for example as the data relevant to the sea peoples who ended up on the
coast
of Palestine) which can contribute to the extraction of what we can get out
of such
texts. Without the external hard data, how can we proceed?

Ian