b-hebrew - Re: Sam, Chr & Josephus

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sam, Chr & Josephus
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 23:35:33 +0100

>Surely Samuel at least is demonstrably earlier than Josephus, as it is
>represented at Qumran. Is the same true of Chronicles?

This is something one will have to see. Yes, some fragments have been
ascribed to
Samuel, but one would need to see what the variations were to see if in fact
we are
dealing with Samuel or that Vorlage I see lurking behind our three texts.
Also I
haven't seen the tiny Chr frag which is described as having one or two words
left on
each line. It's marvelous that there was enough to attempt an identification.

>I know this doesn't
>settle the matter, but are there any reputable scholars who date Chronicles
>after 70 CE?

Probably not. Would a reputable scholar want to propose such an idea?

Ian