b-hebrew - Re: Immanuel (was: The Linkage Between Isaiah 7:14 and 9:6)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Raymond de Hoop <rdehoop AT keyaccess.nl>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Immanuel (was: The Linkage Between Isaiah 7:14 and 9:6)
  • Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 22:26:18 +0100

On 09-03-2001 18:03 Eduardo M. Acuna <eacuna AT mail.giga.com> wrote:

> The very same CL has the evidence: Jeremiah 46:16. It is written as one
> word <Hebr> )L(MNW <endHbr> with no separation, in fact the Lamed and the
> ayin
> are
> joined. I checked the CL from the facsimile edition by freedman published
> by Eerdmans.
> Contrary to your statement, <Hebr> (MNW )L in Isaiah 7:14, 8:8 and 8:10 does
> show a separation as compared with Jeremiah 46:16.

Dear Eduardo,

We are working with the same edition of CL, so that helps the discussion.
Your comparison with Jer. 46:16 does not work, because you will find
sometimes words that are obvious two words joined in a similar way. Further,
you have to check and compare the immidiate context of the texts under
discussion. The distance between the two elements (MNW and )L is less as 1mm
in 7:14, in the others it is even lesser. The same distance you may find
occasionally within other (one) words, where a Waw or Yod is used. So, I
consider CL to read the elements as one word.

Moreover, this was only part of my argument:

You have to deal with the problem of the accentuation of the text, which
indicates that the words (in Isaiah 7:14 and 8:8; in Isaiah 8:10 it is not a
name) were not regarded as two, but as one word.

Moreover, it is said in Isaiah 7:14 itself that we are dealing with a name.
Everywhere we read something like "the name is/will be called", it is
followed by a name; even in Matthew 1:23! Why do you refuse to see it as a
name?

So, you're kindly asked to provide us with some arguments.

Regards,

Raymond