b-hebrew - Re: Dan's epistemology (unfortunately, long)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Christian M. M. Brady" <cbrady AT tulane.edu>
  • To: H-Bible <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Dan's epistemology (unfortunately, long)
  • Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 13:27:46 -0600

On 3/3/01 10:50 AM, "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it> wrote:

>>> When you don't have anything other than the text (or the
>>> performance) you can't be so smart.
>>
>> Yes you can, Ian. Skakespeare's works were presented to people
>> and written for people who knew what genre it was (some
>> exceptions maybe).
>
> I must take it that you are refusing to understand, Dan.
>
> You show no mechanism to separate what the particular gospel writer you may
> select writes about his character(s) from what Shakespeare writes about his
> character(s).

Sorry folks. I can't resist: do we really know who "Shakespeare" was? Any
Baconians out there? With all due respect, some of Ian's arguments about the
certainty of authorship with Shakespeare in *contrast* with that of biblical
authors assume a lot of a man about whom we know very little and whom some
believe did not write the literature attributed to him...

;-)

Cb
cbrady @ tulane.edu
--
³The University is a Paradise, Rivers of Knowledge are there, Arts and
Sciences flow from thence. Counsell Tables are Horti conclusi, (as it is