b-hebrew - What other ancient Hebrew texts?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karen Spray" <karen.spray AT lineone.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: What other ancient Hebrew texts?
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 14:44:08 -0000

I am a beginner at learning Biblical Hebrew and a new lurker on this list.
I was wondering what (if any) other Hebrew texts of comparative antiquity
exist which might shed light on word meanings etc in the Hebrew Bible.

I also have another question which may fall outside the remit of this list.
Does anyone know whether or not Isaiah 7:14 (the 'almah' shall conceive etc
etc) was interpreted messianically before the Christian era, and if so, in
what sense?

Thank you for your help.

Karen Spray (karen.spray AT lineone.net)