b-hebrew - RE: Mesha Stele and the Tetragrammaton

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Eduardo M. Acuna" <eacuna AT mail.giga.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Mesha Stele and the Tetragrammaton
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 20:03:56 -0000

May I ask again, what do you mean by "the greek use of W"? There is no
letter W in the Greek alphabet. The shape W is used by convention in e-mails
and online texts for the Greek letter omega, but this usage became
widespread only in the computer era, and certainly cannot predate the
addition of W to the Latin alphabet which is medieval. So the pronunciation
IAVE attested in an ancient document cannot possibly result from the common
use of W for omega and for waw.

So that rules out your step [2]. I have yet to see any comprehensible
evidence for your step [1]. Step [3] is also wrong, for the abbreviated form
YAH. has a mappiq in the he and so should be pronounced IAH with an audible
H.

Peter Kirk