b-hebrew - weqatal-wayyiqtol-weqatal

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "David Stabnow" <dstabno AT lifeway.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: weqatal-wayyiqtol-weqatal
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 14:08:24 -0600

In 1 Sam 2:15 the weqatal verb implies that the acolyte *would* customarily
come and say, "Give raw meat!" In 2:16 the wayyiqtol implies that the
sacrificer *said*, once, "Burn the fat first, then take whatever." In 2:17
the weqatal resumes the customary force: the acolyte *would* say, "Give it
up, now, or else!"

Similarly, in 2:22 the weqatal suggests that Eli *would* customarily hear
about his sons' wickedness. In 2:23 the wayyiqtol implies that he *said*,
once, "What's all this then? Stop it!" In 2:25b the return to we-X-yiqtol
(a negative clause) implies the return to customary action: they *wouldn't*
hear him.

Can anyone help me with the meaning of the wayyiqtol in these structures?
Is it some kind of emphatic device: that they certainly rebuked them? Or
does it imply that these were the *exact* words that were used in the
rebukes, as opposed to the *kinds of words* that were customarily thrown
around in the other speeches? Has anyone seen similar structures elsewhere?

Dave Stabnow