b-hebrew - Re: Mesha Stele and the Tetragrammaton

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Joe Baker <joebaker AT cygnus.uwa.edu.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Mesha Stele and the Tetragrammaton
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 07:58:55 +0800

Hi all
I asked

Just how do you pronounce Ieoua, iahu, iehu, etc.

Eduardo you replied

<quote> Are you asking for the pronunciation of the vowels? Vowels that are
common to all human languages? Maybe you have not recognized them </quote>

But the problem is different languages apply different sounds to a, e, i, o,
u. In English the long and short versions of the vowels bear no resemblance
to each other as the longs are mostly diphthongs. Also in English the vowel
sounds underwent a shift in the middle ages (a to e, e to i, etc) and so,
for example, the way we pronounce "e", in many words, is like the "i" in
many European languages

So again I ask how do you pronounce the above words, Are the vowels long or
short or are some diphthongs.

Regards
Joe Baker ===========\
Perth |