b-hebrew - Help on differences between BH & MH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Help on differences between BH & MH
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 20:47:10 +0100

I was wondering if anyone could help me with regard to those features of
books like Canticles and Ecclesiastes that lead some people to call the
Hebrew in them proto-Mishnaic Hebrew. Of the few features I've read about,
$l can be found in Ct in place of '$r l-, but, of a quick browse for
nunation rather than mimation to indicate masc. plur., I could see no
examples. What other linguistic items should I be looking for? (I'm trying
to evaluate a dating argument regarding the Copper Scroll which wants to see
that text as extremely late based on the form of Hebrew.)

Thanks,

Ian