b-hebrew - RE: Leviticus 18/20

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Leviticus 18/20
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 12:14:15 -0600

Dear Liz,

You write:

>> Toevah...abominable, right? ...<snip>..which may be abominable
>> traits but hardly worthy of the death penalty, eh? "
>
>There is no mention of the death penalty in this chapter at all.

Remember that Christine mentioned two chapters (Leviticus 18 and 20). There
is no mention of a death penalty in Leviticus 18 perhaps, although 18:29-30
could be understood in that sense:

"Everyone who does these detestable things--such persons must be cut off
from their people. Keep my requirements and do not follow any of the
detestable customs that were practiced before you came and do not defile
yourselves with them. I am the Lord your God." (NIV)

But in Leviticus 20 there is certainly mention of the death penalty. See
Lev 20:2, 4, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, and 16.

It is the verse in Lev 20:13 to which our writer was referring:

"If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done
what is detestable. They must both be put to death; their blood will be on
their own heads." (NIV)

Yours,
Harold Holmyard