b-hebrew - Leviticus 18/20

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Christine Bass" <christinebass AT home.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Leviticus 18/20
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 11:54:07 -0500

Regarding the word "abomination" in Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13 (I am
using the JPS 1917 edition of the Tanach), what is the general consensus of
this word as an accurate translation?

What about the comments below on these passages, are they reasonable?

Much thanks,

Christine

" one should also note that there are two words that share consosnants but
differing vowels in Hebrew: zaken, male, and zakan, rememberance... what if,
hypothetically, the vowels had been misapplied to zayin-kopf-nun sofeet?
While I accept the consosnants are as they were given on Sinai, we know the
Masssoretes had to canonize the vowelization in the 8th and 9th centuries of
the common era...

Let me continue with what's strange with this passage...

Toevah...abominable, right? Well, maybe. Toevah is spelled Tav, vav, ayin,
bet, hey. According to Gesenius Brown Driver's Lexicon, the shoresh, root,
Ayin-Bet-Hey means "fat, gross, thick or stupid"...which may be abominable
traits but hardly worthy of the death penalty, eh? "