b-hebrew - Re: virgin: _BETHULAH_ and/or _(ALMAH_

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Cyberkotic AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: virgin: _BETHULAH_ and/or _(ALMAH_
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 15:44:34 EST

Question:  Could a few enforcers of the law during the time the text being
discussed was written even come to a single, unified agreement on the
"correct" definitions of the words we are arguing over?  My guess is that
real situations might have caused technicality arguments similar to those we
are having right now.  If now I say that I "slept with" someone, will some
folks living circa 1500 years in the future correctly argue that I definitely
referred to a sexual relationship while others argue that I might have been
referring to a camping trip while yet others while still others argue that I
could have  been referring to sex during a camping trip?

Gerald Zimmerman,
Carbondale, IL  62901
One of the Many Electronic Personalities of
Cyberkotic AT aol.com