b-hebrew - RE: Firmament

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Firmament
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 15:21:28 -0000

I don't know of any evidence for these being different roots. In fact I
don't think it probable. But there are plenty of Hebrew words which have no
known cognates, allegedly derived from otherwise unknown roots. And there
are plenty of cases of two identical roots which can be shown to have been
originally different. So my point is simply that we should not assume an
etymological link just because the triliteral root is the same. This needs
to be demonstrated.

Peter Kirk