b-hebrew - RE: Firmament

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Firmament
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 11:51:44 -0000

I guess you are right, Ian. But the metaphor could have arisen from a word
play (which could be what we have in Job) between two homonym roots, one
meaning "sky" and the other meaning "beat out". I'm sure there are examples
of this kind of thing in English, e.g. where an acronym has taken on the
characteristics of the word it spells, but I can't think of any at the
moment.

Peter Kirk