b-hebrew - RE: Hebrew text help needed

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Richard W. Pickett Jr." <nt.programmer AT home.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Hebrew text help needed
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 05:00:38 -0600

Good News!

Some didn't understand that I wanted the ability to do complex word searches
and/or the ability to port my application to PDA and recommended me to
investigate some product that doesn't do what I'm wanting mine to do.

To re-iterate on the searching, let's say that you wanted to find any verses
that contained the word sheol (Strong's Hebrew 7585) that was not translated
into "pit". All the search engines I've seen so far couldn't allow you to
do that. They will find every verse that has 7585 in it but doesn't have
the word "pit", unfortunately you would miss some verses like Ps 30:3 where
7585 is translated into grave but the word "pit" appears later in the verse.
Most search engines would throw this verse out. I want mine to allow me to
search at the word level, not just at the verse level. In my search engine
you would type:

WORD( h7585 ! pit )

And it would correctly find all verse that contained the word sheol where
that word wasn't translated into "pit".

Anyway...

I've wrote my first release on the searcher and passage viewer for PDA (and
Windows). Currently it's doing simple searches (complex ones are on the
list for addition), and you can double click a verse to see the passage of a
verse that appeared in the search.

If anyone would like to check it out (free beta) you can email me back and
I'll send it to you. If you want a PDA release, please specify your CPU and
I'll send you the build specifically for your PDA.

Your humble servant,

Richard W. Pickett Jr.

  • RE: Hebrew text help needed, Richard W. Pickett Jr., 01/02/2001