b-hebrew - RE: Writing Unicode Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, "John Richards" <jhr AT universalist.worldonline.co.uk>
  • Cc: "Martin Hosken" <martin_hosken AT sil.org>
  • Subject: RE: Writing Unicode Hebrew
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 12:12:06 +0400

Good question. In principle this is easy enough in Unicode compatible
applications like Word 2000 (with Hebrew support installed), and most
programs in Windows 2000: you simply select the Hebrew keyboard and type
away. But in practice all you get (as far as I can tell) is unpointed text,
the consonants only, including final forms. This is simply a matter of how
the keyboard is set up; the Microsoft standard keyboard is designed for
unpointed modern Hebrew only.

In principle it should be possible to set up a keyboard to input vowel
points, dagesh etc as well, using a keyboard manager such as Keyman 3.2
(from www.tavultesoft.com, version 4 is not recommended). The vowel points
and dagesh are available in the standard MS Hebrew code page (for reference:
sheva=192, hatafsegol=193, hatafpatah=194, hatafqamats=195, hiriq=196,
tsere=197, segol=198, patah=199, qamats=200, holam=201, qubuts=203,
dagesh=204, meteg=205, maqaf=206, rafe=207, paseq=208, shindot=209,
sindot=210, sofpasuq=211, names as spelled in the Times New Roman font), and
so these characters can in principle be entered into Unicode compatible
applications e.g. Word 2000 on Windows 95/98/ME as well as NT/2000. But I'm
not quite sure if this can be made to work with Keyman 3.2 (it will
certainly be possible with Keyman 5, available as a beta). I am copying this
to an SIL expert who might be able to enlighten us on that question (i.e.
can we get Keyman 3.2 to work with the Hebrew code page on western Windows
9x?) The cantillations are not in the code page and so cannot be entered
directly from a keyboard in Windows 95/98/ME, but can in principle be
entered on Windows NT/2000.

One work round which you can certainly use in Word 2000, for any character
supported by Unicode, is to set up the points and cantillation your require
as control and alt key combinations, via the Insert Symbol dialog.

Peter Kirk