b-hebrew - Re: Off topic, off-list question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Christine Bass" <christinebass AT home.com>
  • To: <gs02wmr AT panther.Gsu.EDU>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Off topic, off-list question
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 15:24:10 -0400

Shalom Wondell,

The best reference book I can think of to answer your question as to why
Christians are so strong and steadfast in their support of Israel would be
the book of Genesis. In Genesis there is a powerful promise to those that
bless Israel.----they will in turn be blessed by G-d. Alternatively, a curse
will be on those who curse Israel. Since Israel is supported and protected
by G-d, it seems wise to choose to be on His side! This is the manner
in which many American Christians that support Isreael have been taught.
Numerous other books of the Bible will attest to that support---Daniel,
Isaiah, Ezekiel,
Zechariah, Revelation---that you might want to reference as well.

(GENES 12:1) Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy
country,
and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land
that I will shew thee:
(GENES 12:2) And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless
thee,
and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:
(GENES 12:3) And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that
curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be
blessed.

"Behold, the day of the Lord cometh...
For I will gather all the nations against Jerusalem
to do battle; and the city shall be taken...
Then shall the Lord go forth and fight against
those nations..." (Zechariah 14)

"For I will defend this city to save it for mine own sake, and
for my servant David's sake" (Isaiah 37:35).

Brakhot,

Christine Bass