b-hebrew - RE: OTA BHS Conversion

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "John Richards" <jhr AT universalist.worldonline.co.uk>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: "Peter Constable" <peter_constable AT SIL.ORG>, "Jim & Anne Henderson" <Jim-Anne_Henderson AT SIL.org>, "Bob Hallissy" <bob_hallissy AT sil.org>, <joan_wardell AT sil.org>
  • Subject: RE: OTA BHS Conversion
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 20:34:30 +0500

(Copied from the Biblical Hebrew list to some SIL font and encoding experts, who may be able to comment further, and might even be persuaded to make the changes necessary.)

Dear John,

I'm sorry that you are having this trouble. The frustrating thing is that this process should be totally unnecessary as I have a near enough 100% correct text. But for copyright reasons I cannot give it to you, as it was derived from the CCAT copy of the BHS text which is protected by copyright. The OTA (Oxford Text Archive) text, which seems to be freely available, is almost the same as the CCAT text but differs in its verse number encodings. The CCT conversion files in the SIL Hebrew Font Package were designed for the CCAT text and so need to be modified for the slightly different OTA encoding. If you have the full CCW (Consistent Changes for Windows) package from SIL, I think it's available from www.sil.org, you should have enough documentation to make these changes for yourself.

Try running first the following CCT file (BHS-CV.cct) which adds chapter and verse numbering (following the CCAT format) to the OTA text. This should make the OTA text much more like the CCAT one. You will still need to make some changes to the other tables, but they should be obvious. I also have a version of bhs2se.cct which I slightly modified to avoid extra spaces when working with the OTA text, I can send you this is you like (as an attached file, 8KB).

c CC table to add chapter and verse numbers to Oxford BHS

c Peter Kirk, December 1998

"~c" > '~a"c' store(chapter) '0' endstore c start of file only

"~x" > dup incr(chapter) store(verse) '1' endstore c new chapter

"~y" > incr(verse) do(outcv) c new verse

define(outcv) > nl '~x' outs(chapter) 'y' outs(verse)

Meanwhile, there is an alternative way ahead which I wish I could recommend, at least for Windows users, but I don't think I can yet because I don't know of a font which supports it. There is an international standard, Unicode, which defines the encoding for Biblical Hebrew including all the cantillation marks. It would be very easy to convert the OTA text into this encoding, for one thing there would be no need for the tricky line reversal. And Microsoft now has full support for display of right-to-left text according to Unicode, which is included with Internet Explorer 5 (free! - so, John, you already have it as your message was sent by Outlook Express 5) and with Office 2000 for Windows 95/98/NT (western versions) users, also included in Windows 2000. (Though you may need to download an additional free support package for IE5.) The problem is that the standard Microsoft Hebrew fonts, although they support vowel points (though holem not very well) and dagesh, do not support cantillation marks. The free font Arial Unicode MS supports the cantillation marks but unfortunately does not place them properly above and below the characters.

Now I know that there are tools available to develop a Hebrew font with full support for placing the vowels and cantillation marks according to context. The technology is called OpenType and Microsoft's implementation of it is called Uniscribe (Details from www.microsoft.com/typography - I haven't visited there myself.), and there is a tool for font developers called Visual OpenType Layout Tool (VOLT) at least in beta test. But what I don't know is, has anyone made a Hebrew font which follows these definitions and supports full cantillation? Or does anyone know of one which is available? If not, there is an important task which can now be done, which will allow full support of the Biblical Hebrew text according to international standards, at least on the Microsoft platform and in principle also on other platforms.

Peter Kirk