b-hebrew - Re: Gen 1:1. Kermess

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 1:1. Kermess
  • Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 23:00:58 +0200

At 18.56 07/09/00 +0800, Joe Baker wrote:
>IAN YOU SAID IN RELATION TO THE START OF THE DAY
><quote>
>This is of course why we are told that God did his creating "and evening
>was and morning was, day Xth": wyhy `rb wyhy bqr ywm X. We are told this
>each day of the six days of creation. Note the "and"s: the first implies
>that God worked before the evening. God did his creating, then evening came
>and then morning -- people don't work at night.
></quote>
>
>Are you saying that
>"and evening was and morning was, day Xth"
>
>means
>"and the evening of day X was and the morning of day X+1 was"

No, this is not correct. The morning brought the close of the previous day
and signaled the start of the new one, just as evening would in the later
calendar.

>After all this seems to be the implication if the day started in the
>morning.

Night ended with morning. Day started with morning.

>Nice to know God only worked during the day - which begs the question if
>only darkness existed how did he ever start creating?

But you didn't beg the question of having morning before there was a sun. I
let you answer the question you have begged here.

As humans work during the day, so God shows that it is fitting.

Ian