b-hebrew - Re: Genesis

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Genesis
  • Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 22:22:15 +0100

Liz, I take this personally. I do not "accept" these four sources. Well,
what do you mean by "accept"? Do you mean be "*certain*" of this position? I
certainly am not, or to put it another way, I give the probability of the
documentary hypothesis not corresponding to reality as considerably larger
than .000000001. Does that make me not a *scholar*? Or does it just make me
not dogmatic?

And what is this Bayes' Theorem you are talking about it? Is it the same one
I learned about when studying probability at high school? If so, I think you
need to learn again when this theorem applies and when it does not. I don't
remember it having anything to do with people with disparate beliefs coming
to agree.

Peter Kirk