b-hebrew - Re: The 24 hour "evening and mornings" ??? (Peter)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The 24 hour "evening and mornings" ??? (Peter)
  • Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 22:04:18 +0100

But Liz, there is a difference in English. If you say "He drank vodka all
the days of his life", do you mean that he drank at least some vodka every
single day of his life (to say nothing of the nights!), or just that he
regularly (but not necessarily every day) drank vodka for the whole of his
life? That is an important difference. But I would not know which way to
call on this in English as this is not a natural expression. In English we
would usually say "every day of his life" for the first meaning and "all his
life" for the second. My understanding of the Hebrew idiom is that it means
the latter, not the former. I would be interested in any comments, or
confirmation or refutation of this understanding from published works.

Peter Kirk