b-hebrew - RE: The 24 hour "evening and mornings" ??? (Peter)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: The 24 hour "evening and mornings" ??? (Peter)
  • Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 22:42:56 -0400

Dear Peter,
Personally speaking, I would say this phrase doesn't differentiate those
two possibilities. Life is measured in days. I don't recall the
expression kol xayyecha. It is always days of our lives (Gee, that sounds
like a soap opera, <g>).
But if this is in reference to Gen 1, I don't think it applies. In Gen 1
you have reference to evening and morning. These are there to delimit
a (24 hour) day. These reference points are there to delimit an actual day.
I think that kol yemey xayyeka also indicates actual days, a life time's
worth,
because as I said, this is how a life is measured. It means "all his life"
but
it's counted in days.

Best,
Liz