b-hebrew - RE: Israel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bill Ross" <wross AT farmerstel.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Israel
  • Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 14:02:14 -0500

<Jack>
Persevere for God? Power from God?

<Bill>
It struck me one day as I was reading Genesis how sharply the incident where
Iaakov wrestles all night yet perserveres contrasts with Esau, who, after a
day of hunting is "so hungry he could die" and lets go of his blessing.

Since this name is a reward for perserverence, I would be surprised if it
should be understood any other way than "perserveres with God", though I
don't know if the grammar allows that reading or not.

Bill Ross