b-hebrew - RE: Israel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Bill Ross" <wross AT farmerstel.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Israel
  • Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 15:19:25 -0400

Bill, you're assuming that the story actually occurred, and that there was
no
people Israel prior to the story.
Whereas I, on the otherhand, think the name existed, and the story was
created as
a post hoc etiology on the name.
Therefore, I don't think the story is at all relevant in the derivation of
the name.
What is relevant are other tribal names from the ane. How are other peoples
named?
How do they choose name for themselves, what is the linguistics behind their
names?
That is the approach one should take, imo.
Now, does anyone know of another people or tribe that has a theophoric in
it?

Best,
Liz