b-hebrew - Re: WEQATAL vs. QATAL statistics: a question and a doubt

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: WEQATAL vs. QATAL statistics: a question and a doubt
  • Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 20:44:42 +0200

Randall Buth wrote:

>>However, all the
>>time references and different functions of QATAL are found in WEQATAL, so
>>the difference is one of quantity (pragmatics) and not one of qauality
>>(semantics).
>
>Excuse me, but where does qatal MARK iteritivity?
>veqatal is almost always iterative (80-90%?) in narrative and appears to
>MARK it.
>Remember Genesis 29.1-3? You never answered it.

Dear Randall,

Here it is evident again that we live on two different worlds as far as
linguistics is concerned, although we may be close in a few viewpoints. For
me it is a dramatic claim that WEQATAL or any aspect MARK iterativity.
Iterativity is allways a function of the interplay of two or more factors,
and not of one alone. You can never by the clause WEQATAL + OBJECT alone
(or another simple clause) draw the conclusion that the action is
iterative. There are four basic ways to signal iterativity: 1) By a
combination of the imperfective aspect and a punctiliar verb phrase, 2) by
lexical expressions (often adverbials), 3) by the context, and 4) by our
knowledge of the world. Please show me just one example where iterativity
is caused by the aspect *alone*, and I will repent in dust and ashes.

It appears that you use "iterativity" somewhat broader than I do (as shown
by your example) to include frequentativity and habituality as well. I
would only apply iterativity to events such as hickups where something is
repeated very quickly. But I have no objection to including the two other
concepts; the point is that we use the same definition.

Let me now illustrate my point: In 1 Samuel 1:3,7 the same event is
described by a YIQTOL and a WEQATAL, and the event is iterative (I would
say habitual). Elkanah's habit, in accordance with the law, was to go up to
Jerusalem every year. How do we know that the WEQATAL W(LH in v 3 is
iterative? Because of the adverbial MYMYM YMYMH. If this adverbial was
lacking and no other element in the context indicated it, the only possible
interpretation of the WEQATAL would be that the travel happened just once.
The adverbial clearly shows that the traveling was a habit, but the aspect
contributes absolutely nothing. This verse shows that iterative events can
also be expressed by the perfective aspect, but in that case, they must be
explicitly signaled by other elements.

But what about the YIQTOL Y($H in v 7? Here we also have an adverbial that
makes the habit explicit. However, even without the adverbial, iterativity
would be considered as a possible interpretation because we have a YIQTOL
with past meaning. However, most YIQTOLs with past reference evidently are
not iterative (although many will justify their view of aspect by claiming
this), so the YIQTOL alone is not enough to demonstrate iterativity. There
are several examples where a verb phrase with YIQTOL is punctiliar in a
past context, but where there is no iterativity. the reason is that
punctiliarity is not a semantic (uncancelable) property.

Now to your example Genesis 29:1-3. The YIQTOL Y$Q$W in v 2 probably is
habitual "they used to water the flocks". What is the reason for concluding
that? Basically our knowledge of the world together with the imperfective
aspect. Job and Jeremiah used the YIQTOL of YLD with past reference, so
the clause "by the well I was born (YIQTOL)" would not be iterative.

Verse 3 contains four WEQATALs and the RSV translates it this way: "and
when all the flocks were gathered (WEQATAL) there, the shepherds would roll
(WEQATAL) the stone from the mouth of the well, and water (WEQATAL) the
sheep, and put (WEQATAL) the stone back in its place upon the mouth of the
well."

I agree that we should interpret all the four actions as habitual. Why? Not
because of the aspect (of WEQATAL), but because of our knowledge of the
world. All we need to do to cancel the habitual interpretation of the four
WEQATALs, is
to change "flocks" with "the army" (or something similar).

"and when all the army was gathered (WEQATAL) there, the soldiers rolled
(WEQATAL) the stone from the mouth of the well, and the gave water
(WEQATAL) to the prisoners, and then they put (WEQATAL) the stone back in
its place upon the mouth of the well."

We know that an army do not habitually come to a particular well to drink
water, and therefore we would interpret the WEQATALs as non-habitual.
Because iterativity is a function of the interplay of different parts of
the clauses,
I have never wanted to make a statistics of its occurrence, but clauses
with all the conjugations can be interpreted this way. This post
illustrates the importance of studying which parts of a clause do what to
signal particular meanings. For the benefit of those who do not subscribe
to b-greek I take some points regarding this from a post I recently sent to
this list:

"The above comments touch the heart of the matter,namely, the nature of the
aspects and their interplay with other units of speech. When dealing with
lexical semantics, lingusits have learned to differentiate between "sign"
(letters or sounds of a word), "concept" (the meaning which is stored in
the mind of those with the same presupposition pool, and which each person
connects with the "sign"), and "reference" (the thing in the world referred
to). Imagine what word studies would be if these three were fused into one
unit and students did not distinguish between them! In my view, this is the
state of much of the aspectual studies of Greek and Hebrew. Few attempts
are made to study the individual parts of clauses in order to find which
parts are doing what in connection with communication. As a matter of fact
the tendency is to ascribe particular meanings to the aspects, while these
meanings are contributed by other members of the clauses.

Let me use an example. The phrase REACH THE TOP has a clearcut
interpretation, and is therefore easy to work with. The focus is on the
particular "reach"-point. Let us now see how different parts of the clause
contribute to different meanings.

(1) He reached the top.

Aktionsart: punctiliar
Tense: past