b-hebrew - Re: stupid question of the year

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Jeremy Sasser" <jeremy AT fish.pair.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: stupid question of the year
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 00:16:30 +0100

No, a very good question, but it was already discussed in some detail a few
months ago. To be very literal, this could be "In a beginning" (absolute
without article) or "In the beginning of" (construct, which never has the
article). But see the separate posting I have just made.

I would actually lean towards the phonological argument I mention there. I
suggest that the original was baaree'shiyt (absolute with article), with
three long vowels. The Samaritan pronunciation apparently supports this. But
the rather anomalous qamets two syllables before the stress (a position
where it is usually replaced by a schwa) became shortened, in the Jewish
pronunciation tradition of this obviously well known word, to a schwa.

Peter Kirk