b-hebrew - Re: The identity of the serpent

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Raymond de Hoop <rdehoop AT tref.nl>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The identity of the serpent
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 17:40:29 +0200

>It seems to me that this is not only reading into the text, but
>reading into other people's minds as well. Once again, it's obvious
>that this snake is no ordinary animal, there's something or
>someone motivating its actions, at the very least there's something
>or someone giving it the capability of speech since there's no
>indication at all anywhere else in the text that any animals could
>talk.

Dave,

About "reading into a text": nowhere in the text there is an indication
that we are not dealing with an "ordinary animal". To the contrary, the
serpent is the most subtle from *all the living of the field, that the Lord
God made*. So when you are reading here something else than an "ordinary
animal", it is your reading, feel free. But don't say it's in the text. You
read it into it. The serpent is just an "ordinary creature" like you and
me, not a sneaky figure -- or you have to think it of me too :->

Regards,

Raymond