b-hebrew - Re: The identity of the serpent

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Raymond de Hoop <rdehoop AT tref.nl>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The identity of the serpent
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 06:58:43 +0200

> Dave wrote
>Okay, which other of the "ordinary creatures" has the capability of
>speech, knows what God has commanded the man and questions
>it, lies to the people and all the rest? I think you're the one reading
>"ordinary" into the text, because it's obvious in the context that this
>critter does things that no other critter does, has knowledge
>beyond what any other critter has, and has the capability of moral
>judgment that no other critter apparently has. So perhaps you can
>explain to me how this constitutes "ordinary." If we take the
>introductory statement in isolation, well sure, he looks
>ordinary enough. But if we look at his actions, it's pretty obvious
>that he's anything but ordinary as compared to the other animals.

Well, aparently this "not ordinary creature" became extinct after the
paradise. In fauna books I cannot find anything about a serpent, "going
upon his belly, eating dust", which "has knowledge beyond what any other
critter has, and has the capability of moral judgment that no other critter
apparently has". Neither do I know of a satan, "going upon his belly,
eating dust".

So, lets stick to B-Hebrew on this list, not to dogmatics. And I conclude
that Hebrew N.CH.SH means "serpent, snake" and not "satan". Every
interpretation going beyond that is not dealing with B-Hebrew, and is on
the wrong place on this list.

Raymond

Dr Raymond de Hoop
Boeiersingel 11