b-hebrew - Re: In the Day you eat thereof... (Gen 2:4 and 17) - When!

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Jerry Blaz" <ffdog AT earthlink.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: In the Day you eat thereof... (Gen 2:4 and 17) - When!
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 12:02:49 +0100

It does get rather boring when people bring up again last week's discussion.
Here is part of another posting by Lee Martin on 14th August:

Dear Christian,
Yes. Thank you for pointing that out. But in BH, doesn't KA'ASHER mean "as
soon as"? I suppose that a study of the two words might reveal their
individual denotations and connotations.
Lee R. Martin

Have you done such a study and come to the conclusion that BEYOM "sums up
state and signals a change", and that KA'ASHER means "when" and not "as soon
as"? If so, I would be glad to see your evidence. Or are you making an
unsupported assertion?

As for MATAY, it seems to mean "when" as a question word rather than as a
conjunction. Also, apart from the form `AD-MATAY it is quite rare and almost
entirely poetic.

Peter Kirk