b-hebrew - Re: In the Day you eat thereof... (Gen 2:4 and 17)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Bill Ross" <wross AT farmerstel.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: In the Day you eat thereof... (Gen 2:4 and 17)
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 11:33:25 +0100

We do have short memories on this list. It was only just over a week ago
(14th August) that Lee Martin posted the following:

Dear Tony,
The word BEYOM simply means "when." For a parallel to Gen. 2:4, see Num.
3:1, where all of God's speaking to Moses from Sinai is referred to as "in
the day God spoke to Moses from Sinai". Thus Gen. 2:4 is not an attempt to
reduce creation to one day at all, but rather it means "when God had created
the heavens and the earth". As far as I can determine, there is no other
Hebrew word meaning "when."
The question of authorship is not influenced by the word BEYOM.
Lee R. Martin

If BEYOM simply means "when" in Gen 2:4, I think we can assume the same
meaning in verse 17 of the same chapter. In fact NIV translates simply
"when" in both verses. On the Gen 2:4 thread, I could perhaps argue that
this is a classic case where BEYOM refers to a period longer than one day,
specifically one of 930 years (less however long Adam lived in the garden,
but that time could not have been much more than 100 years, see 5:3-5).

Peter Kirk