b-hebrew - In the Day you eat thereof...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bill Ross" <wross AT farmerstel.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: In the Day you eat thereof...
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 15:27:13 -0500

I looked up "in the day" (byom) and found that the phrase is used pretty
loosely thoughout Genesis, not necessarily as a 24 hour day. While not
entirely satisfactory, I guess it does provide some explanation for the
phenomenon...

Genesis 2:4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when
they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the
heavens,
Genesis 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt
not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely
die. {thou shalt surely…: Heb. dying thou shalt die}
Genesis 3:5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your
eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
Genesis 5:1 This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that
God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;
Genesis 5:2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called
their name Adam, in the day when they were created.
Genesis 31:40 Thus I was; in the day the drought consumed me, and the frost
by night; and my sleep departed from mine eyes.
Genesis 35:3 And let us arise, and go up to Bethel; and I will make there
an altar unto God, who answered me in the day of my distress, and was with
me in the way which I went.

Thanks for all of your help.

By the way, does anyone have any light on the prefix BETH? What can it mean
besides "in"?

Thanks

Bill