b-hebrew - Re: In the Day you eat thereof...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jerry Blaz <ffdog AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Bill Ross"<wross AT farmerstel.com>, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: In the Day you eat thereof...
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 02:05:28 -0700

I have always understood that the expression "byom" to be a summation of a
change in the status of Adam and Eve from innocence to responsibility with
its fate of mortality. It seems that the other instances you bring also
involve a summation of status with change. That is my "take on the BETH."

Jerry Blaz

At 03:27 PM 8/22/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I looked up "in the day" (byom) and found that the phrase is used pretty
>loosely thoughout Genesis, not necessarily as a 24 hour day. While not
>entirely satisfactory, I guess it does provide some explanation for the
>phenomenon...
>
>Genesis 2:4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when
>they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the
>heavens,
>Genesis 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt
>not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely
>die. {thou shalt surely…: Heb. dying thou shalt die}
>Genesis 3:5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your
>eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
>Genesis 5:1 This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that
>God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;
>Genesis 5:2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called
>their name Adam, in the day when they were created.
>Genesis 31:40 Thus I was; in the day the drought consumed me, and the frost
>by night; and my sleep departed from mine eyes.
>Genesis 35:3 And let us arise, and go up to Bethel; and I will make there
>an altar unto God, who answered me in the day of my distress, and was with
>me in the way which I went.
>
>Thanks for all of your help.
>
>By the way, does anyone have any light on the prefix BETH? What can it mean
>besides "in"?
>
>Thanks
>
>Bill
>

>---
>You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: ffdog AT earthlink.net
>To unsubscribe, forward this message to
$subst('Email.Unsub')