b-hebrew - Re: Dying you shall die

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Dying you shall die
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 21:33:05 +0100

On Tue 22 Aug 2000 (16:48:32), jeremy AT fish.pair.com wrote to Liz:
> Forgive me if I misunderstood you, but I keep getting this impression that
> you're taking the position that G-d has lied to Adam and that G-d is a liar?
> There are references where states that G-d is of truth and that He has
> no capability of lying and that HaSatan is the father of lies. Or are
> you just being a devil's advocate? :-)

"In the day" that they (A&E) sinned two deaths took place: the deaths of two
sacrificed lambs, of whose fleeces God made garments (leotards?) to cover
their nakedness. The whole of the BHS is shot through with substitutionary
sacrificial victims; see Leviticus 17:11. God was not taken aback when A&E
ate the forbidden fruit; he had already planned what He would do. So God was
not lying: He was fulfilling His Word, graciously accepting the deaths of two
sacrificial victims in lieu of A&E's deaths.

Of course, A&E and all their progeny duly died: see the mournful refrain
throughout Genesis 5: "and he died" WaYYaMoT. ...WaYYaMoT. ...WaYYaMoT, etc.
The only exceptions to this seem to have been Enoch and Elijah.

Shalom
Ben
--
Revd Ben Crick, BA CF